Friday, August 3, 2012

The science and technology of Kili gear


 Jo Borkett, Mango, Truworths, Foschini and Forever New are my regular hangouts when the time comes to add some items to my wardrobe. High heels and power dressing is my regular delight. I’ve often been told that there’s “casual” and there’s “Daphna casual” which doesn’t quite make the casual cut. However, in the last few weeks, I’ve discovered a whole new world (and wardrobe). Shops I never knew existed, are now my regular haunts and I still fill with dread at the thought. The new list covers Drifters, Cape Union Mart and Columbia for serious camping gear! The new wardrobe is filing with fleeces, down and thermals and definitely NO COTTON!

There is a science to Kili clothing that has absolutely nothing to do with style, fit or colour. The latest concepts are comfort, warmth, waterproofing and wicking!

In the past, warmth was achieved through various layers that have to match and complement each other in style. Now, I’m asked to believe that 3 layers will keep me super-warm and as long as the size is right and there’s no cotton, forget style and colour!

So… how does it all work?

There are 3 layers to Kili clothing and these will keep you dry and warm if you do everything as per the instructions. The first is the thermal layer – top and bottom to keep the moisture off your body. The second layer is for warmth. Here come the fleeces. There are 100, 200 and 300 fleeces and the number has to do with the weight of the fleece per square meter. These come in 3 basic styles and 2 colours per style if you’re lucky! You can layer as many fleeces as you like to increase warmth. Finally comes the outer layer – a breathable plastic that hold the heat in, basically the weight of a rain coat.

That’s it! Of course you then add to your list boots, socks, gloves, buffs (never heard of these before), scarf and hat and you’re equipped! Nearly every item needs 2 layers and all this is really important for summit night so you land up spending on fortune on stuff you need for one night only!

My first visit to Drifters was completely overwhelming. I walked in, got the drill and walked out again without buying a thing. As the shop assistant was talking, my heart started beating faster, my breathing got shallower and I thought I was having a panic attack at the amount in need to spend on items I will probably never wear again… and seriously, the most commonly found colours are black and grey.

The second time, I sent my good friend with the instruction – buy 2 of everything! What you get for you, get for me too! This was great! I thought I wouldn’t have to go back. But, alas, I did. With the third trip, I was equipped with a list of what I still needed – the guys were great – and I made it in and out with everything I needed and still breathing!

The guys at Cape Union Mart and Columbia are great too! They greet me by name as I walk through the door and are always ready to help out. Thanks for making this whole new shopping world as painless as possible for me – and I certainly hope that the gear will keep me warm, dry and comfortable and that I won’t have to come back for a visit anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment