Sunday, May 6, 2012

These Boots Were Made for Walking...


When I think of a symbol of commitment, I often think of a ring. For various reasons it was chosen as a symbol of commitment when it comes to engagement and marriage. The circular design symbolising the completeness of life – beginning merging with end.

For me, more recently, another symbol of commitment emerged and that came in the form of hiking boots! Not really circular, not really a symbol of the completeness of life but definitely a symbol of a new beginning for me – the start of my journey to climbing Kilimanjaro. Never in my life have I owned such a pair of shoes and yet, buying them meant a whole lot more than just adding to my already wonderful collection. Actually, for those who know me, another pair of shoes may be quite apt as a symbol of commitment – commitment to buying a larger shoe cupboard maybe! I love my shoes – particularly the high heeled, gorgeous variety. People often marvel and comment at my ability to spend a whole day on my feet in high heels and look very comfortable. Not surprisingly then, was the fact that when I made the decision to go climbing Kilimanjaro, my first purchase was a pair of hiking boots.  Before I had even paid my deposit, I purchased the appropriate shoes for the journey.

Once my thinking process had ended and my decision was made, I needed to take a tangible step towards making sure that this was more than just a thought. Paying the deposit became an important milestone that was delayed due to my analytical nature and need to investigate insurance options and best payment methods. I didn’t want to stop the momentum that I felt from making this momentous decision, so I paid for my boots and waited for delivery. When the not-so-gorgeous boots arrived, I knew that I had truly arrived in my commitment to the journey.


Upon the boots arrival, I realised that I can’t own this pair of boots without a journey to take them on. I was now even more motivated to pay my deposit and was looking forward to making the payment that would symbolise my commitment even further.





Now that the shoes were purchased and that the deposit was paid there really was no turning back. The next step was to get hiking and wear the boots in. The initial wearing was so uncomfortable that I came back sore, blistered, bruised and determined. I tried a different way to tie them which was slightly more comfortable. The second wear was already better. I climbed to the top of Table Mountain, Cape Town and felt a great sense of achievement. The boots were more comfortable but still felt foreign and clumpy. Give me back my high heels any day! However, with each wear, I get more used to the boots and at the same time more used to the idea of the climb. Less scared? I’m not so sure – but more excited and more comfortable.

These boots were made for walking… and that's just what they'll do - climb Kili with me inside them!

1 comment:

  1. cool.funny and fun to read
    havent seen those boots for a few days now !!!

    ReplyDelete